Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Return to Long Cycle

Since injuring my knee (see last post) I spent several workouts working on the snatch and the one-armed long cycle. I slowly re-integrated double KB work, using the 20 KG bells instead of the 24's, and last night did a 10 minute set of long cycle. I averaged over 8 rpm, with a total rep count of 83.
Normally I'd just pick up the 24 KG bells and resume where I left off with long cycle. But my knee is still tender, and it's very stiff every time I sit for more than a few minutes. I look like an old man when I climb out of my car after my 30 minute commute to and from work. Once the knee loosens up I'm fine. But those first minutes after I get out of the car look pitiful. Thankfully, my cautious return to double KB lifting has not hurt the knee or caused any soreness.
Anyway, the knee is getting better but I'm cautious about returning full bore to double 24kg work. So my plan is to work on speed work with the 20kg bells. Tonight I'll try a five minute set at 9 rpm. I'll progressively up the pace and minutes until I can go 100 reps in ten minutes with the 20 KG's. When I reach that point I'll return to the 24's. At least, that is the plan.
My ultimate goal for the year is to make my Level I ranking at the Southeast Regionals in Atlanta on December 5th. That means at least 69 reps of Long Cycle with two 24's in ten minutes.
We'll see how that works out...

No comments:

Post a Comment